Shahrukh Jatoi, the suspect in the Shahzeb murder case, is now free

 Shahrukh Jatoi, the suspect in the Shahzeb murder case, is now free

Shahrukh Jatoi, the suspect in the Shahzeb murder case, is now free

KARACHI: The main accused in the high-profile Shahzeb Khan murder case Shahrukh Jatoi has been freed from the Malir Jail after 10 years, according to jail authorities.

Last month, the Supreme Court of Pakistan had ordered the acquittal of culprits in the Shahzeb murder case.

Also Read: Shahzeb murder case: SC acquitted Shahrukh Jatoi

The top court had annulled the Sindh High Court’s verdict to uphold the punishment of the accused individuals in the case and ordered their release following reconciliation with the bereaved family.

On October 18, the SC had acquitted Jatoi along with other convicts in the case.

Shahrukh Jatoi, the suspect in the Shahzeb Khan murder case, is now free

At the outset of the hearing on October 18, the accused party’s lawyer Latif Khosa told the three-member bench, headed by Justice Ijaz Ul Ahsan, that the parties in the case have already reached a settlement.

Khosa told the bench that his clients had no plans of spreading terror. Adding that the murder case painted as a terrorist activity.

Also Read: Shahzeb murder case: Govt to challenge Shahrukh Jatoi acquittal

After the acquittal from the SC, the Attorney-General’s Office decided to file a review petition related to the decision and prepared a draft letter to convey its concerns to the apex court.

Per the letter, the opinion of the Attorney-General’s Office not sought before acquitting Jatoi. It added that decisions related to such important constitutional matters should not taken without consulting the AGP’s Office.

Shahzeb, 20, shot dead on the night between December 24 and 25 in 2012 in Karachi’s posh locality.

Web Desk

Related post

Translate »