Hamas claims Israeli forces start a ground assault as it fires

 Hamas claims Israeli forces start a ground assault as it fires

Hamas claims Israeli forces start a ground assault as it fires

GAZA/JERUSALEM: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected demands for an end to the fighting that has worsened the humanitarian situation in the Palestinian enclave, while Hamas said that its fighters in Gaza fired anti-tank rockets against Israel’s invading forces early on Tuesday.

In an effort to exact revenge on the ruling Hamas organization in Gaza, Israel has increased its ground operations there. Three weeks ago, the group went on a violent shooting spree that left over 1,400 Palestinians dead. According to Israeli officials.

Also Read: War in Gaza: Palestinian death toll has risen past 8,000

According to witnesses, Israeli forces stormed Gaza City from two directions on Monday. And focused on the city’s main north-south thoroughfare. Israel claimed that one of the 239 captives that Hamas had taken on October 7 had been released by its forces.

Hamas claims Israeli forces start a ground assault as it fires

The al-Qassam brigades, Hamas’ armed wing, said militants clashed early on Tuesday with Israeli forces “invading the southern Gaza axis. (Including) with machine guns, and targeted four vehicles with al-Yassin 105 missiles,” referring to locally produced anti-tank missiles.

The militants also targeted two Israeli tanks and bulldozers in northwest Gaza with the missiles, al-Qassam said.

Reuters was not able to confirm the reports of fighting. Israel’s military had no immediate comment.

Gaza health authorities say that 8,306 people, including 3,457 minors, have been killed in Israeli attacks since Oct. 7. U.N. officials say more than 1.4 million of Gaza’s civilian population of about 2.3 million have been made homeless.

Also Read: Israel began heavy bombing of Gaza

The mounting death toll has drawn calls from the U.S., Israel’s top ally. Other countries and the U.N. for a pause in fighting to allow more humanitarian aid to reach the enclave.

Netanyahu said late on Monday that Israel would not agree to a cessation of hostilities with Hamas in Gaza and would press ahead with its plans to wipe out the group.

“Calls for a ceasefire are calls for Israel to surrender to Hamas, to surrender to terrorism, to surrender to barbarism. That will not happen,” Netanyahu said in televised remarks.

Military specialists said Israeli forces are moving slowly in their ground offensive in part to keep open the possibility that Hamas militants will negotiate the release of the hostages.

The relative caution with which Israeli troops have taken and secured slices of territory in the first days of sustained ground operations in Gaza stands in contrast to the past three weeks of unrelenting air strikes on the Mediterranean enclave, as well as to Israel’s previous land offensives there.

Web Desk

Related post