Film by director killed in Ukraine to be shown at Cannes

 Film by director killed in Ukraine to be shown at Cannes

Film by director killed in Ukraine to be shown at Cannes

The final film by Lithuanian director Mantas Kvedaravicius, who killed by Russian forces in Ukraine last month, will shown at the Cannes Film Festival, organizers said Thursday.

Kvedaravicius shooting a follow-up to his celebrated documentary, “Mariupolis is”, about the conflict in the Donbas region. When he reportedly captured and killed.

His fiancée Hanna Bilobrova, who was with him in the besieged city of Mariupol. Brought his footage out of the country and it put together by his editor, Dounia Sichov.

Also Read: Over six million refugees have fled Ukraine: UN

In a last-minute addition to the line-up, the resulting film, “Mariupolis 2”, will get a special screening out of competition at Cannes on May 19 and 20.

In a statement, the festival said “it was essential to show it.”

The original documentary by Kvedaravicius. Who a trained anthropologist, won widespread praise after it shown at the Berlin International Film Festival in 2016.

Also Read: Friends actor Mike Hagerty has died, at 67

He returned to the region this year “to with the people he had met and filmed in 2014 and 2015”.

“Following his death, his producers and collaborators have put all their strength to continue transmitting his work, his vision, his films,”. The war in Ukraine has become a central feature of the 75th Cannes Film Festival.

Also Read: After meeting Ukrainian children, Angelina Jolie in tears

Ukrainian director Sergei Loznitsa will present a timely film out of competition. “The Natural History of Destruction”, about the bombing of German cities in World War II.

Newcomer Maksim Nakonechnyi is competing in the Un Certain Regard section with “Butterfly Vision” about a traumatized veteran of the early fighting in Donbas.

Web Desk

Related post

Translate »